Friday, July 24, 2009

SIREN SINGING WON!

The Gathering is the FF&P chapter of RWA's annual get together which takes place during the RWA National convention. At The Gathering, the winners of the Prism Awards are announced. As SIREN SINGING was a finalist in the erotic romance category and as Nationals was in Washington DC this year--which is close enough to get to cheaply--I traveled down for the event.

I had no thought that I might win so I went with my date (my baby boy--twitter name Destructo) and one of my best friends, Leanna Renee Hieber (who was also a finalist in the novella category with her brilliant story, DARK NEST) with every intention of having a good time and cheering whatever place I got. Many years ago, THIEF'S DESIRE took Third Place in the Prism Awards, so if I came in Second, I'd be moving up the ranks.

Turns out, SIREN SINGING actually WON! Needless to say, I was thrilled and completely unprepared with anything like a decent speech. I did remember to thank my brilliant editor, Mary Altman, and my dear friend, Claire (she helped me with the initial idea for this story while we were on holiday in Costa Rica). But Destructo decided my speech was a good time to start crying so I probably made a hash of the rest. At any rate, I was incredibly honored to even final and to have won is an overwhelming honor. So here, I'd like to thank FF&P for all their support as a chapter and for the tremendous organization that goes into the Prisms every year. For more on both chapter and the awards you can visit the FF&P website here. You can also find a full list of finalists and winners here.

In other news: I'll mention this again closer to the date, but for those of you in NYC or near to NYC, I will be doing a reading at Lady Jane's Salon the first Monday of September (September 7th) along with my friend Leanna (who's novella also won, btw! yay, Leanna!) who's historical fantasy novel, THE STRANGELY BEAUTIFUL TALE OF MISS PERCY PARKER will be out from Dorchester August 25th. Please come along and help us celebrate one of our favorite subgenres--Fantasy Romance! For more details about Lady Jane's Salon, visit their website.

Advance Notice: THE PROMISE OF KIERNA'RHOAN will be out in paperback October 1, 2009. Mark your calendars! Though this book was first released 10 years ago, this is the first time it has ever gone to print. Don't miss this action-packed science fiction romance which is still near and dear to my heart.

Happy Reading!